Most Searched flight routes to South Africa with Stopovers
London Heathrow to O. R. Tambo International Airport with Emirates Airlines via Dubai.
Flying with Turkish Airlines from London Heathrow to Johannesburg (JNB) via Istanbul.
British Airways (BA) from London Heathrow to O. R. Tambo International Airport flying direct from UK to South Africa.
London Heathrow to Cape Town International Airport flying direct with BA.
London Heathrow to O. R. Tambo International Airport flying direct with national flag carrier South African Airways (SAA).
Kenya Airways operates from UK to South Africa via Nairobi
KLM flights have a layover in Amsterdam flying from UK to South Africa
Etihad Airways from London Heathrow to South Africa via Abu Dhabi
Lufthansa from Heathrow, Manchester and Birmingham to South Africa via Frankfurt
Qatar Airways from Heathrow, Manchester and Birmingham flying via Doha to South Africa.
Cheapest flight deals to South Africa from UK.
Difference in airfare for Low and High Season flying from UK to South Africa
Generally, during low seasons, airfares for return flights from London to South Africa may vary between £400 and £550. For the high season, the fare for cheap economy class flights to South Africa from UK increases beyond £750 and even £900 a few days before the start of summer vacations and Christmas season.
Airlines operating direct flights to South Africa from UK
There are mainly three airlines that operate a direct flight to South Africa from UK, namely South African Airways, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic. All three airlines are characterized with facilitating commendable service aboard for their passengers. Most direct flights land at O. R. Tambo International Airport, which is also the main regional hub for connecting flights from other countries across the African continent.
- South African Airways only flies from London Heathrow.The flight times from London to South Africa are usually in the evening between 1900 to 2100 hrs. SAA operates 14 weekly flights from London to O. R. Tambo International Airport wherefrom there are several connecting flights targeting different airports in the country. Collaborative solutions like the code-sharing system allow SAA to connect Manchester with South Africa via Frankfurt and Munich in cooperation with other carriers.
- British Airways flies 7 days a week, twice a day from London to South Africa at 7 p.m and 9 pm. BA the only airline that flies direct to Cape Town from Heathrow and is starting direct flights from Gatwick to Cape Town in November 2016. You can add on a connecting flight from any UK airport to your direct Jo’burg flights.
- Virgin Atlantic operates a daily flight at 2000 hours from London Heathrow to O. R. Tambo International Airport.
How long is the air journey from UK to South Africa?
- The shortest possible journey between UK and South Africa is usually with one of the most popular direct flights. British Airways claims it flies to South Africa in less than 11 hours. Moreover, the flight duration is approximately 11 hours from London Heathrow to O. R. Tambo International Airport with Virgin Atlantic or South African Airways.
- Flights from Glasgow to Durban with one-stop on Emirates Airlines take 18 hours.
- Turkish Airlines is the shortest one-stop flight from Manchester to Durban taking 16 hours 40 minutes including layover.
- The shortest flight duration from Birmingham to Durban is also with Turkish Airlines taking only 16 hours.
- Total airborne time on flights from Birmingham to Port Elizabeth is 16 hours and 4o minutes flying with Swiss Air.
- Air France flight duration from London Heathrow to South Africa is approx. 12 hours 45 minutes with one stop in Paris.
- KLM takes 14 hours and 15 minutes flying via Amsterdam from Edinburgh to South Africa
- Flight duration with Emirates from Glasgow to South Africa is 17 hours while British Airways takes around 13 hours 35 minutes.
- It takes 17 hours and 35 minutes from Edinburgh to Bloemfontein with Lufthansa Airways with two stops at Frankfurt and O. R. Tambo International Airport.
- Flight duration from Edinburgh to Bloemfontein will be 19hours with Qatar Airways with two stopovers via Doha and JNB
- London Heathrow to South Africa with Emirates takes almost 15 hours.
- Emirates will take minimum 16 hours and 30 minutes flying from London Heathrow to Cape Town via Dubai.
- London Heathrow to Cape Town International Airport with British airways will take 11 hours 25 minutes.
- Turkish airlines will take a little shorter time 13 hours 40 minutes flying between London and Cape Town via Istanbul.
- Ethiopian airlines offer a commitment to take you to O. R. Tambo International Airport from London Heathrow within 13 hours.
How to manage getting around in South Africa?
When it comes to road and rail infrastructure, South Africa is regarded as the back bone of the region. Its home-based international bus companies not only operate across the corners of the country; they also operate regular routes connecting neighboring countries. Modern highways link all the main cities, functioning in parallel with the well-established rail network in South Africa.
What are the hotel and accommodation options in South Africa?
With the country welcoming the major share of tourists arriving in Africa, South Africa has emerged with a diverse variety of options for all of its travellers. A national level authority maintains regulations of classifying all the hotels in accordance of their standards and services within the major cities. Accommodations specializing in local hospitality include guest houses for ‘paying guests’ to facilitate Bed & breakfast services, as well as campsites.
Game reserves and national parks have their own designated accommodations in their premises, consisting of lodges and huts for safari visitors. For the more ‘unconventional’ traveller, camper vehicles as well as houseboats are also available for getting to stay along the roads or by the lakes.
By Z A Chahal
Flight destinations in South Africa
Airlines flying to South Africa
What travellers thinking before Travelling to South Africa
I am planning to visit South Africa. Which is the best time of the year to book South Africa flights?
South Africa can be visited throughout the year; generally it depends on where you want to go during your trip. If you intend to go for a safari then the best time of the year is Jun to Sep (dry season). Cape Town should be visited in summers during Nov to Mar, Dec to Feb (rainy season) is the best time to go for rafting, and if you love whale watching then Jun to Dec is the time to visit the country.
If I am to compare all South Africa flights, which one will save me the most time for air travel from London?
Generally, top end air carriers like Emirates and Qatar Airways are expected to take 14 to 15 hours of flight time. Ethiopian Airlines also takes roundabout the same time, but return flights often stretch with a 5 hour stopover at Addis Ababa. With 12 hours of flight time and a stopover which lasts about 1.5 hours, KLM seems to be the most suitable in terms of taking the shortest amount of travel time.